Software edit (Category edit) .
Split between two pages and categories?:
- about software
- instances of software
Why do people choose cryptic names for their command-line programs?
Sure it's faster to type... but it's nearly impossible sometimes to guess what the program does without running it! It would be nice if at least you had some idea what the program was just by looking at the name... is that so much to ask?? Let people make their own short aliases if the default (long) names are too long for them (i.e., they use the command a lot).
- you can run the command
rbxtm ("Ruby Extension Methods") to get a list of the methods implemented by this project
Ideas to check out
http://code.google.com/soc/ Google Summer of Code
http://code.google.com/ Google Code - Google's Developer Network
- Hadoop is a collection of Free Java software previously developed by the Nutch project but now maintainted by Lucene. The system includes a distributed filesystem reminiscent of GoogleFS named the "Hadoop Distributed File System", a clone of Google MapReduce called "HadoopMapReduce" and a few other miscellaneous pieces of software. The collection is intended to support the Lucene project's search engine by allowing it to be distributed over a network of commodity computers.
It looks like they're trying to provide an open-source response to Google.
Data storage options
Instances of software
My shared scripts/software
http://svn.tylerrick.com/library/ book library
http://svn.tylerrick.com/rails_shared/ Rails shared code
http://svn.tylerrick.com/shell/ Shell scripts/config
http://svn.tylerrick.com/vim/ vim scripts
- http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ -- "Wink is a Tutorial and Presentation creation software, primarily aimed at creating tutorials on how to use software. Using Wink you can capture screenshots, add explanations boxes, buttons, titles etc and generate a highly effective tutorial for your users." Save as Flash file.
GNU/Linux desktop software
media player: Amarok
A lot like iTunes.
http://www.cygwin.com/ -- GNU/Linux environment
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
KeePass Password Safe -- Looks very good. Open source.
Lists of software
http://dag.wieers.com/howto/windows-apps/ DAG: Open Source Windows applications
- open source project list I started
- my directory structure: E:\Programs
Import into / Pull data from Software database
- Default: Drill down by platform, then by application type/category
- Drill down by application type/category, then by platform
- Table view, ordered by rating?